Or make a one-time donation here:
Native Land has been around since 2015, and since that time it’s been independently supported by the founder, Victor Temprano. However, since the organization is now becoming a nonprofit and is growing, we need to find better and more sustainable methods of support.
There are a number of people already working regularly for Native Land. These include:
- Research assistant
- Social media manager
- Volunteer coordinator
We also have a growing Board of Directors, and a lot of things we’d like to be able to work on.
It’s important to know that Native Land aims to be an entirely Indigenous-led and Indigenous-run organization. Right now, Victor Temprano, who is non-Indigenous, still does a lot of the day-to-day work, but we ensure that Board members, the ultimate directors of the project as it shifts into being a nonprofit, are Indigenous and have a strong land base and interest in maintaining a high quality project. It’s really important to us that this project is built and run for and by Indigenous people.
If you decide to help support us, here’s a few of the things your money will go towards:
- Paying employees and board members for their work
- Supporting ongoing research and expansion of the map and its global coverage
- Increase our ability to attend conferences and gatherings about Indigenous mapping
- Help Native Land engage directly with communities and participate in active territory research
- Improve teacher’s guides and the educational outreach of the site
And a few of our long-term dreams:
- A podcast about Indigenous territory and other topics like tech and indigeneity, language revitalization, and more
- Newsletter and regular updates
- Conferences hosted by Native Land, and getting involved in conferences worldwide
- On-the-ground research on territories and languages
- Getting involved directly with educators regarding the teaching of Indigenous history
We have a whole lot of ideas, and this is really just the start — if you’ll join us!
Thanks for reading through, and thanks for your support, whether or not you join. We are glad that this project means something to you and so many others.
If you want to get involved yourself, contact us using this form!